Wednesday, October 26, 2016

DASH

Today we had a DASH presentation in our classrooms.  As you know, DASH stands for, Disability Awareness Starts Here.   We had some parent volunteers come in to share some resources and supports to simulate what it would be like to have certain physical disabilities.  There were four stations.   One where you had to use a board to help communicate, if you had a disability where you could not speak.   There was a station where you had to try to put clothes on wearing large gloves to simulate if you had a fine motor disability.  Another station worked with using special scissors to help cut paper if you didn't have full use of your hand.  The last station had several different support tools like adaptive forks, toothbrushes, and objects to help put on shoes.  



I know some of you had "fun" using the supportive tools.  However, you want to think about having to use those supports to complete a simple task on a daily basis, and the purpose behind them,
Comment below about how it made you feel trying to complete a task without support?  
free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

10 comments:

  1. It was challenging to button things and cut. The inventions that were made are very helpful to complete daily tasks. Without the it probobly would have took me a half an hour just buttoning something, the writing bird I found helpful and easy to use. So that's my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see DASH going strong for more than 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in Dr. Creeden. I hope you are enjoying retirement!

      Delete
  3. Hi Mrs. Cummings! My class had our second DASH program on Monday, during our gym period. We got to experience how it would feel to get in a car accident and either, broke our arm, broke one of our legs{and had to use crutches}, both of our legs did not work {we had to us a wheelchair, and figure out how to get food, go around obstacles, etc.}, or that we had to wear a leg/knee brace to help us be able to walk{jog} around. The most challenging part was getting up after putting the leg/knee brace on. The trick was to turn over on your tummy, and sort of try to inch up that way. At that station, we talked about the scenario when, if we saw someone with a leg/knee brace on, would it change the way we acted around them? My answer was no, after seeing that video in class about Phoebe, and how she wanted to be treated just like us. Also, because if I saw someone wearing something like that, I would treat them their age and I would treat them like they are normal. These past couple of weeks in the DASH program, have really tought me a life lesson. "If you see somebody with a Physical Disability treat them their age and act like they are just like us. Talk to them."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The D.A.S.H program was very difficult! I feel so bad for the people who don't have very good fine motor skills a us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine how hard it would be to do all these everyday things without the support iteams that they are given.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine have to walk in crutches all the time. When my class did that in gym, my shoulders and my whole arms killed! I have never broken anything so far. When we played 4 square in gym for DASH, we had casts on making it even harder. I feel bad for whoever has a disibelity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying to do things like putting on clothes with gloves on was hard enough, I can't imagine how tough it is to do that and more everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would really be tough doing these everyday tasks.I had fun but it would be hard even going into the store when you have to get around a sidewalk curb.

    ReplyDelete